There is a saying : „What is the vastness of the universe to me if my shoes are too tight?“. This holds true for hiking shoes as there is no other item of outdoor wear as important as a will fitting pair of hiking shoes. Such shoes both protect and relieve your feet and ankles and prevent blisters and other pain on shorter or longer hikes. Thanks to a sturdy and non-slip sole even rough terrain is no impediment. And if your shoes fit perfectly each trip will be an unforgettable experience.
Categories for hiking shoes
Walking shoes are also termed as hikers, hiking shoes or trekking shoes. As no shoe can meet all requirements at the same time the German manufacture Meindl has introduced a classifying system describing areas of application. The make of each shoe is perfected towards one of these classifications. Thus a light hiker belonging to category A has a pliable sole and a nylon shaft, whereas alpinist boots of category C or D über have a very had sole perfectly suited to clamp-ons as well as a fur lined thick leather shaft.
- A: Lightwalker – fashionable shoes with a good tread.
- AB: walking – entry level walking shoes suitable for alpine pastures, low mountain ranges and paved roads
- B: trekking „classics“ – for prolonged hikes in undemanding alpine terrain.
- BC: trekking boots– for ambitious trekking and alpine hikes of moderate difficulty
- C: High-mountain boots– particularly firm of tread; suited for alpine trekking among rocks, glaciers and for climbing walls; suitable for climbing irons.
- D: high performace alpine mountain shoe – absolutely reliable for extreme situation in ciritcal terrain; one hundred percent safe with climbing irons.
Things to consider when buying hiking boots
There are a number of criteria for a good hiking shoes besides its perfect fit. When you are out and about you must be able to rely on on your outdoor shoes. Most of the hiking shoes offered in our online shop are meant to be used in undemanding and and moderately difficult terrain. We also carry special hunting shoes that have been developed to meet the requirements of hunters and for use in the forest. Hiking shoes are made of leather or certain textiles,sometimes they combine both materials. Many models are equipped with a equipped with a special membrabe and are thus waterproof and breathable. Apart from our selection for men and women we also carry shoes for children.
Characteristics of good hiking shoes
For walking or hiking it is important that the shoe's shaft extends beyond the ankle thus giving good support to teh joints. For the outers sole most manufacturers, e.g.Meindl, resort to to a profiled rubber sole by the world leading manufacturer Vibram from Italy. Besides many soles are equipped with a cusioning system which relieves the joints. Special eyelets and hooks allow tight lacing of the shoe so that it will sit firmly on the foot.
Here is a overview of the most important functions of walking shoes:
- Support of the foo by a high shaft
- Good grip and safe tread thanks to a non-slip sole
- Joint relief thanks to tread resistance and cushioning
- Optimum prection against weather influences
Hiking shoes need care
Those who have found their perfect walking shoes should give some thought to the care of their new shoes. Because outdoor shoes are often subject to heavy demands, for example on long hikes through drough terrain.Therefore after each use shoes should be cleaned, cared for and if neccessary newly impregnated. There are number of care products for different materials.
- As a first step you should clean your shoes with a brush and if necessary some water to get rid of coarse dirt and dust.
- Once the shoes have dried they can be impregnated by spray.
- Now you should treat your shoes with a care procut to protect their material and to keep leather from drying out. Do not neglect hooks and eyelets.
- Keep your shoes in a dry airy space.
Buy walking or hiking shoes online at all hours of the day
You can order the walking shoe of your choice online - the order process is uncomplicated. If you need advice our qualified staff or customer service will be happy to assist you by telephone.
Within our large range of outdoor clothing you will find a wide selection of winter shoes for the cold season as well as trekking shoes for summer.